Staff Scientist in Computational Fluid Dynamics (Ocean Modeling)
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST; see www.oist.jp) is a dynamic new graduate university of science and technology in Okinawa Prefecture, Japan. The university is located on 85 hectares of protected forestland overlooking beautiful shoreline and coral reefs. The campus is striking architecturally, and the facilities are outstanding (OIST campus video tour). There are no academic departments, which facilitates multidisciplinary research. Outstanding resources and equipment are provided and managed to encourage easy access and collaboration. English is the official language of the University, and the university research community is fully international, with more than 50 countries represented. OIST is rapidly gaining recognition in the worldwide academic community as a model for excellence in education and research.
The Marine Biophysics Unit of the Okinawa Institute of Marine Science and Technology (OIST) invites applications for a staff scientist position in computational fluid dynamics (CFD).
The successful candidate will work on the development of i) regional ocean circulation models under predicted future climatic conditions and in the past and ii) particle-tracking techniques across multiple computational domains.
Applicants must have a Ph.D. in Fluid Mechanics, Physical Oceanography or a related field and demonstrated ability in publishing results in peer-reviewed journals. Highly desirable qualifications include programing skills in FORTRAN and MATLAB and experience in development of CFD codes.
Term: Full-time, fixed term appointment for 2 years, renewable for another year depending on performance.
Working hours: 9:00-17:30 (Discretionary)
Compensation in accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
- Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
- Annual paid leave and summer holidays
- Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ )
- Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
- Worker’s accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
All required application materials should be submitted by email to :
(Please replace [at] with @ before using this email address)
- Cover letter stating research interests and experience
- Curriculum vitae in English
- Names and contact information of 3~5 referees, one of which should be a previous employer
* Please be sure to indicate where you first saw the job advertisement.
- OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages women and minority candidates to apply.
- Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
- Please view OIST policy for rules on external professional activities
- Further details about the University can be viewed on the OIST website www.oist.jp.