Technician Position in Marine Biophysics Unit
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST; see www.oist.jp) is a dynamic new graduate university of science and technology in Okinawa Prefecture, Japan. The university is located on 85 hectares of protected forestland overlooking beautiful shoreline and coral reefs. The campus is striking architecturally, and the facilities are outstanding (OIST campus video tour). There are no academic departments, which facilitates multidisciplinary research. Outstanding resources and equipment are provided and managed to encourage easy access and collaboration. English is the official language of the University, and the university research community is fully international, with more than 50 countries represented. OIST is rapidly gaining recognition in the worldwide academic community as a model for excellence in education and research.
The Marine Biophysics Unit of the Okinawa Institute of Marine Science and Technology (OIST) invites applications for a technical staff member in Marine Science. The successful candidate will support ongoing fieldwork and related research activities at the OIST Marine Science Station and the OIST main campus.
Expected tasks are, but not limited to,
1) arrangement and execution of fieldwork with research unit members, external collaborators, and local fishermen,
2) maintenance of research equipment,
3) procurement of consumables and equipment,
4) accommodation of visiting researchers and invited speakers,
5) preparation of research agreement documents,
6) securing safe lab environment,
7) keeping training records of research unit members, and
8) management of marine animals at the marine station.
- Applicants must have business level communication skills in both Japanese and English.
- A higher priority will be given to applicants with extensive knowledge of Marine Science or a related field.
Term & Working Hours
Term: Full-time, fixed term appointment for two years, this contract may be renewable depending on performance.
Working hours: 9:00-17:30 (Discretionary)
Compensation & Benefits
Compensation in accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
- Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
- Annual paid leave and summer holidays
- Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ )
- Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
- Worker’s accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
How To Apply
All required application materials should be submitted by email to:
satoshi[at] oist.jp (Please replace [at] with @ before using this email address)
- Cover letter
- Curriculum vitae
- Names and contact information of 3~5 referees, one of which should be a previous employer
* Please be sure to indicate where you first saw the job advertisement.
Application Due Date
- OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages women and minority candidates to apply.
- Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
- Please view OIST policy for rules on external professional activities
- Further details about the University can be viewed on the OIST website www.oist.jp.