Technician Position in Ocean Modeling / Marine Biophysics Unit
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST; see www.oist.jp) is a dynamic new graduate university of science and technology in Okinawa Prefecture, Japan. The university is located on 85 hectares of protected forestland overlooking beautiful shoreline and coral reefs. The campus is striking architecturally, and the facilities are outstanding (OIST campus video tour). There are no academic departments, which facilitates multidisciplinary research. Outstanding resources and equipment are provided and managed to encourage easy access and collaboration. English is the official language of the University, and the university research community is fully international, with more than 50 countries represented. OIST is rapidly gaining recognition in the worldwide academic community as a model for excellence in education and research.
The Marine Biophysics Unit of the Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology (OIST) invites applications for a technical staff member in ocean modeling.
Expected tasks are, but not limited to;
1) Code development for regional ocean circulation models
2) Management of model products
3) Making high-resolution tidal current predictions around Okinawan Islands.
Applicants must have a Ph.D in Computational Fluid Dynamics or a related field and Business level communication skills in English. Highly desirable qualifications include programing skills in FORTRAN and MATLAB.
Term & Working Hours
Term: Full-time, fixed term appointment for 2 years, renewable for another year depending on performance.
Working hours: 9:00-17:30 (Discretionary)
Compensation & Benefits
Salary will be commensurate with experience, in accordance with OIST Employee Compensation Regulations.
- Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
- Annual paid leave and summer holidays
- Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ )
- Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
- Worker’s accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
How To Apply
All required application materials should be submitted by email to :
(Please replace [at] with @ before using this email address)
- Cover letter stating research interests and experience
- Curriculum vitae in English
- Names and contact information of 3~5 referees, one of which should be a previous employer
* Please be sure to indicate where you first saw the job advertisement.
Application Due Date
- OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages women and minority candidates to apply.
- Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
- Please view OIST policy for rules on external professional activities
- Further details about the University can be viewed on the OIST website www.oist.jp.