Graphic and Web Designer
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST; see www.oist.jp) is a dynamic new graduate university of science and technology in Okinawa Prefecture, Japan. The university is located on 85 hectares of protected forestland overlooking beautiful shoreline and coral reefs. The campus is striking architecturally, and the facilities are outstanding (OIST campus video tour). There are no academic departments, which facilitates multidisciplinary research. Outstanding resources and equipment are provided and managed to encourage easy access and collaboration. English is the official language of the University, and the university research community is fully international, with more than 50 countries represented. OIST is rapidly gaining recognition in the worldwide academic community as a model for excellence in education and research.
OIST is seeking an experienced graphic and web designer to support our growing digital and print presence and to help us take our content to the next level. You will work as part of a team to develop a wide range of communication assets at OIST including web-based materials and interfaces, other digital assets including those for social media, publications, including newsletters and promotional materials, and presentations. The Digital Services Section works with a wide range of staff at OIST including administration and many researchers.
Come live in sunny Okinawa and help us to build a new and different university in Japan.
- Serve as the graphic design lead to develop the visual presence and brand of OIST
- Work closely with the Communications & Public Relations team and wider university to produce key visuals and layouts for print and online
- Help develop and produce front-end designs to support OIST web sites and other digital assets
- Champion the OIST brand ensuring that all materials adhere to the brand identity guidelines of the university
- Support graphic design needs for presentations to the external audiences of OIST, for example PowerPoint presentations to key stakeholders
- Support the design of digital assets for social media channels and infographics
- Provide advice and support to members of the Communications & Public Relations group as well as other staff of the university
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate easily in spoken and written English
- Proven skills in page layout, typography and infographics
- Experience in graphic design for the development of annual reports, newsletters and other publications, online and in print
- Experience in front-end graphic designs for web
- Experience in social media and best practice
- Proficient in Adobe Creative Cloud, especially Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Acrobat
- Experience in project management and meeting planned targets
- Proficient in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and other Microsoft programs
- Highly organized
- Independent worker and team player – flexible, positive, proactive, enthusiastic and able to multitask
- Professional and personable
- Experience working in a service-oriented environment
- Japanese language ability or an interest in learning
- Knowledge of Drupal Content Management System
Term & Working Hours
Term: Full-time, fixed term appointment for 2 years. Contract initially with 3-month probationary period (inclusive). This contract may be renewed.
Working hours: Flextime (core time 10:00-15:00) 7.5hrs per day (Multiplied by prescribed working days per month)
Compensation & Benefits
Compensation in accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
Annual salary: 3.9 million ~ (Job class: Administrative III, A3)
- Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
- Annual paid leave and summer holidays
- Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ )
- Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
- Worker’s accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
How To Apply
Apply by uploading your submission documents HERE*.
*This is a secure file uploading system for handling confidential materials.
- Cover letter in English (and Japanese if available)
- Curriculum vitae in English (and Japanese if available)
- Examples of Published Work if available
- Names and contact information of 3 referees, one of which should be a previous employer
or send by post to the following address:
HR Recruiting Support Section
Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University
1919-1 Tancha, Onna-son, Okinawa 904-0495, Japan
If you have any questions, please contact us at recruiting[at]oist.jp.
(replace [at] with @ before using this email address)
Application Due Date
- OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages women and minority candidates to apply.
- Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
- Please view OIST policy for rules on external professional activities
- Further details about the University can be viewed on the OIST website www.oist.jp.