Assistant to the Senior Advisor for Strategy
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST; see www.oist.jp) is a dynamic new graduate university of science and technology in Okinawa Prefecture, Japan. The university is located on 85 hectares of protected forestland overlooking beautiful shoreline and coral reefs. The campus is striking architecturally, and the facilities are outstanding (OIST campus video tour). There are no academic departments, which facilitates multidisciplinary research. Outstanding resources and equipment are provided and managed to encourage easy access and collaboration. English is the official language of the University, and the university research community is fully international, with more than 60 countries represented. OIST is rapidly gaining recognition in the worldwide academic community as a model for excellence in education and research.
The Senior Advisor for Strategy works closely with the President preparations for the Decennial review of OIST by the Japanese Government, due to report in 2021.
Provide support for Senior Advisor for Strategy;
- Manage the Senior Advisor’s Diary
- Manage the Senior Advisor’s travel and prepare and submit expenses for reimbursement
- Arrange Meetings including travel for external participants
- Communicate with the Executive, Deans, Faculty and other staff, often in confidential settings
- Support in tracking progress of multiple strategic task forces to help to recognize any gaps against the plans and identify necessary action items to keep them on track
- Assist with preparation of agenda and prepare materials for multiple task force meetings
- Record minutes of meetings and write reports in English and Japanese as appropriate
- Assist with translation and interpretation
- Well organized and discreet
- Able to work in a dynamic environment, where the workload and pace can be high at times
- Be articulate, with excellent spoken and written English and Japanese
- Have excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Be a supportive team member, working well with all members of the Office of the President
- Skillfully handle confidential information
- Be able to follow protocols and policies, especially in situations of difficult interpersonal interactions
- Have excellent computer skills (Office365)
Term & Working Hours
Term: Full-time, fixed term appointment for 2 years contract (correspond to the term of Senior Advisor for Strategy) initially with 3-month probationary period (inclusive).
Working hours: 9:00-17:30
Flextime (core time 10:00-15:00) 7.5 hrs per day (Multiplied by prescribed working days per month)
Compensation & Benefits
In accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
Job class: Administrative staff II-III, A2-3
- Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
- Annual paid leave and summer holidays
- Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ )
- Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
- Worker’s accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
How To Apply
Apply by uploading your submission documents HERE*.
*This is a secure file uploading system for handling confidential materials.
- Curriculum vita in English (and Japanese if available)
- Cover letter in English (and Japanese if available)
- Names and contact information of 3~5 referees, one of which should be a previous employer
or send by post to the following address:
HR Recruiting Support Section
Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University
1919-1 Tancha, Onna-son, Okinawa 904-0495, Japan
If you have any questions, please contact us at recruiting[at]oist.jp.
(replace [at] with @ before using this email address)
Application Due Date
- OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages women and minority candidates to apply.
- Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
- Please view OIST policy for rules on external professional activities
- Further details about the University can be viewed on the OIST website www.oist.jp.